REIMAGINING BANKNOTE SECURITY
MOTION SURFACE™ is a new security feature from Crane Currency. It is applied in the printing works and provides endless opportunities to engage the public by bringing to life the security and value of a banknote.
MOTION SURFACE is a platform built on the technology behind MOTION®. Crane Currency’s micro-optics technology is widely recognized as the state-of-the-art counterfeit deterrent technology for banknotes.
MOTION SURFACE FACTS:
• Display technology that projects one or more highly secure, visual effects
• Miniaturized MOTION micro-optics provide astonishing effects including
fluid movement and three-dimensionality
• Applied in the printing works
• Unparalleled ability to integrate and create
• No shiny metallized appearance
• Supports forensic features traceable only by law enforcement or the central bank
MOTION SURFACE discourages counterfeiting in two ways. First, it is easy to use. It provides the public with an easy to verify element that is an integral part of the banknote’s identity. MOTION SURFACE images are not two-dimensional – they have depth, a past and a personality that can tell a story in a glance.
MOTION SURFACE provides designers with an entirely new collection of visual effects to build an identity aimed at maximum public recognition. Second, it is very secure. The technological foundation provides no easy starting point for the potential counterfeiter. Unlike holograms, the MOTION lenses and ultra-micro printing used to produce MOTION SURFACE have no counterparts in other industries.
FULL VISIBILITY WITH MOTION SURFACE
MOTION SURFACE was brought to life after a decade-long journey of technology evolution, innovation and creativity. MOTION SURFACE is capable to display all of the effects made known to the industry in the form of the MOTION and RAPID® products.
MOTION SURFACE is thinner than its predecessors and has made it possible to apply it to the surface of the banknote paper during printing. Three-dimensional effects are also possible, giving an impression of floating images that have the power to surprise and delight, and give life to symbols and objects that can appear to come right out of the banknote!
ENGAGING VISUAL EFFECTS
Trust in banknotes is generally high among the public and with this trust comes a low motivation to authenticate them. A banknote should therefore communicate clear challenges to the would-be counterfeiter – intuitive and obvious elements that are easy to check and extremely difficult to simulate. While being an extremely complex product, the banknote’s authenticity is easily revealed with just a glance.
• Highly controlled switch between “on and off”
• Allows highly detailed imagery such as engraved portraits
• Objects seem to be below the surface of the banknote
• Combines well with other effects
• High contrast movement along easy to follow pathways make authentication easy and create dynamic designs
• A “water droplet” seems to rest on the surface of the banknote
• Transparent “objects” appear to bend and distort light
• Three dimensionality rewards viewers with changes of size and acceleration
• Shading adds further dimensionality and mood